Thursday, February 24, 2011

Little piggy, little piggy

There's an old myth that if you rub the nose of the bronze pig statue in Florence, you will have good luck and inevitably return to Florence in the future...

Having just had my fourth visit to Florence, I'd say the little piggy came through!




After finding out that a German visa is going to be very difficult to acquire (without a german boyfriend let alone husband), I decided to look further into Italian visas. So I used that as my basis on taking another trip to Italy. Just a week, nothing extravagant, Florence- Grosseto- Rome... and for your information; Florence doesn't have an embassy, nor a consulate, and the immigration office don't speak english. Grosseto is near the beach and has lots of pork, but I went on the weekend, and nobody wants to talk visas on the weekend... so I just had to enjoy myself until I got to Rome, there was just no other option!






In Rome, I went to the Australian embassy, who told me to go to the immigration office, who told me the information office was closed, come back in half an hour. Half an hour later the policeman rudely told me I should have gotten a visa in Australia, but he wasn't really sure... try the police station on the other side of town, at which the officer I needed to talk to had already gone home...


In the end, from reading countless articles, forums and websites (all containing different information) and talking to a few authoritative figures (who kinda knew... but thought I better check elsewhere just in case), I have come to the conclusion that if I want to stay in one place for any length of time in Europe, without the hassle of going back and forth between Schengen and non Schengen countries, I am going to have to go back to Australia and apply for a visa...

No comments:

Post a Comment