Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Becoming a Florentine

For my third couch surfing experience I decided to throw caution to the wind and request a couch from 3 Italian guys for a couple of nights in Florence. My confidence in this decision was being quickly drained after 2 dirty old Italian wankers on the train and my host being 30 minutes late to meet me at the station. But luck took my side and I had the most amazing stay.
My hosts Alexandro, Marco and Lorenzo- 2 engineers and a journalist- had a really nice new apartment close to the centre of town and befriended me instantly inviting me out to dinner at their friend's bar.
Lorenzo had a few days off work and was able to show me (according to Florentines) the best city in the world. He took me around to all the main monuments, introduced me to a traditional lunch of Florentines (Lamprodotto : tripe burger) and took me out for apperativo every night, in return I introduced them to Pavlova! Fair trade right...















I ended up extending my stay with them to 4 nights and can safely say that my relaxing, tame travel with my parents is over... I don't think I was in bed before 2.30 any of my nights in Florence and drank more wine than I have in a long time!... I couldn't have asked for anything more.
On my second night there, after arriving home at around 2am, the boys decided they were hungry and proceeded to cook up a batch of spaghetti with parmesan and black pepper and pork chops... How many Aussie boys do you know of whose after-party food consists of any thought and effort like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment