Monday, July 18, 2011

Beachy beach

Since I have been in Italy I have SEEN the beach, but I haven't actually had a day AT the beach. Saturday was finally my day. After working until 3am Friday night. waking up at 8am to go to the beach was hard, BUT my willpower came through and I managed to get out of bed! (Proud or what!) After picking up the car and driving to Giorgio Patisserie (necessary stop for coffee and pastries- the best in Florence I will have you know) we were finally on our way to Viareggio by 10am.

In Italy, the method of beaching is quite different to what we're used to back in Australia... At Viareggio there is only one section of free beach, the rest (and more popular option) is that you rent and a piece of beach, umbrella and chairs for the day and that's where you base yourself. And despite being at the beach, swimming is very much a secondary activity for most (and the colour of the water at viareggio confirms why for me) whereas tanning and looking beautiful in your new swimwear is a must.
 


A beautiful, relaxing day on the beach, equipped with large amounts of seafood pasta and sun, but this style of going to the beach makes me feel like I'm in a kind of well manicured umbrella farm, and makes for a rather expensive day! None the less, it was a great day and I'm already looking forward to this weekends prospective beach trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment