Sunday, March 13, 2011

The real Fasnacht

Last weekend we went into Lorrach for some more Fasnacht festivities. I can now understand that the last carnival events we saw in Lorrach were just warm ups for the big festival to come and that this was the real fasnacht. I'm judging this by the amount of confetti we collected. Last time, there was confetti scattered around the apartment upon our return. This time we had to seriously de-fetti before we went inside, taking off layer upon layer of clothing to get at the confetti that had managed to lodge itself into every available space- including underwear. Yet, puddles of confetti still managed to materialise around the apartment for the few days after the parade.
My camera and I can probably take claim to most of the confetti we acquired considering I insisted on taking photos of the characters and their fantastic costumes. As soon as I saw one of them make "eye contact" with me (you can only really guess where their eyes are, let alone where they're looking) I knew we were in trouble. They would walk up to the barrier, stare you in the face, then either take off the beanie, dump a handfull of confetti on your head and put the beanie back on, or just simply shove handfuls of confetti into your jacket/shirt/hood/pockets/any other place capable of holding confetti, then walk away. You may be able to understand just how many times we were attacked with confetti if you notice how many photos I have looking into the faces of characters!
There were times when I could literally feel confetti dripping down my back, and any movement I made would send off a shower of colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment